[Samba] Using samba-python to query AD? Status of API?

pisymbol . pisymbol at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 21:31:36 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Rowland Penny
<rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/11/15 17:11, pisymbol . wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 11:09 AM, mathias dufresne <infractory at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Once you have installed Samba to be able to run it as Active Directory
>>> you
>>> would have samba-tool available.
>>>
>>> # which samba-tool
>>> /usr/bin/samba-tool
>>> # file /usr/bin/samba-tool
>>> /usr/bin/samba-tool: Python script, ASCII text executable
>>> # locate ldapcmp.py
>>> /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/ldapcmp.py
>>> /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/ldapcmp.pyc
>>> /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/ldapcmp.pyo
>>> # file /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/ldapcmp.py
>>> /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/ldapcmp.py: Python
>>> script,
>>> ASCII text executable
>>>
>>> I gave the commands because they help to find where are really these
>>> files.
>>> They could be in some other directory on your system.
>>> There are a lot of other (python) files in there.
>>

>> Hmph. This command doesn't look like its shipped in the standard
>> samba4 CentOS RPMS. Bummer.
>

> This could be because it is part of a Samba4 AD DC setup and (all together
> now) you cannot set up an AD DC with RHEL based distros yet with the distro
> packages, use the Sernet packages instead.

Rowland et al:

It seems samba-tool, at least in itself, doesn't really have what I'm
looking for (a 'net ads search' equivalent). However, I do see things
in source4/scripting/bin like 'rpcclient' for instance (which doesn't
really work for me due to either not being able to import some modules
OR missing DEBUGLEVEL_CLASS if I muck with my PYTHONPATH).

I see that samba-python includes SOs of various pertinent libraries
(like srvsvc.so, winbind.so, netlogin.so, samr.so etc.). Is there any
documentation at all on any of this stuff? Or are all of these APIs
really for internal consumption only?

-aps