[Samba] Pam_mount not working with "sec=krb5"

Ole Traupe ole.traupe at tu-berlin.de
Wed Nov 4 17:30:06 UTC 2015

So finally here is the solution that works for me. If you have any
questions, just ask.

I use pam_mount with the following volume definition in the
"/etc/security/pam_mount.conf.xml":
<volume fstype="cifs" server="server" path="home/%(USER)"
mountpoint="/home/%(USER)" sgrp="domain users"
options="sec=krb5,cruid=%(USERUID),uid=%(USERUID),gid=someLiteralGroupID,nosuid,nodev"
/>

But this wouldn't work initially, I got the
# mount error(126): Required key not available

However, once the respective user had logged in, I could use these
parameters for a manual mount as root:
# mount.cifs //server/home/userxyz /home/userxyz -o
sec=krb5,cruid=uid_of_userxyz,uid=uid_of_userxyz,gid=someGroupID

In another attempt, I could also hard code the "cruid=12345" for
pam_mount, and then log into the same machine twice. The second time the
home share was mounted correctly

So I figured, that PAM should do kerberos first. Therefore, I swapped
these two lines in the "/etc/pam.d/password-auth" (this is the result):
session     optional      pam_krb5.so
session     required      pam_mount.so

Pam_mount can do password authentication, as well, but I don't need it.
So I commented this line out:
# auth        required      pam_mount.so

Now I was able to use this volume definition for pam_mount (but not the
one at the top):
<volume fstype="cifs" server="server" path="home/%(USER)"
mountpoint="/home/%(USER)" sgrp="domain users"
options="sec=krb5,cruid=12345,uid=%(USERUID),gid=someLiteralGroupID,nosuid,nodev"
/>

Interestingly, the %(USERUID) worked for the "uid=..." option, but not
for "cruid=...". I tested this many times. So I figured that somehow the
"cruid=..." use by pam_mount happens too early at a stage where this
request returns empty (or something else). To test this, I put the same
volume description _TWICE_ into the "/etc/security/pam_mount.conf.xml".
And voilà: pam_mount works!

So as a temporary solution I have a dummy mount in the
pam_mount.conf.xml to make sure that the %(USERUID) variable is set
correctly when it is needed:

<volume fstype="cifs" server="server" path="home/dummy"
mountpoint="/home/%(USER)" sgrp="domain users"
options="sec=krb5,cruid=%(USERUID),uid=%(USERUID),gid=someLiteralGroupID,nosuid,nodev"
/>
<volume fstype="cifs" server="server" path="home/%(USER)"
mountpoint="/home/%(USER)" sgrp="domain users"
options="sec=krb5,cruid=%(USERUID),uid=%(USERUID),gid=someLiteralGroupID,nosuid,nodev"
/>

It's not beautiful, but it seems to work fine.

Ole