[Samba] session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 16:16:08 UTC 2015

On 04/11/15 15:38, Roger Wu wrote:

> [...]
>         If our samba server works, users only want to access samba
>         service using their own PC,
>         that's what they need, they are not allowed to use others' PCs
>         but their own.
>
>         And yes, users can move from one machine to another, that's
>         how a domain works,
>         but we don't need to provide samba service between Workstation,
>         only one way access from PCs to Workstations is needed for users.
>
>         I am not worried about users limitation, it's just as I said
>         that not so many users need this service.
>         If so, I'll figure it out.
>

>             Now we come to the new questions, will the Unix machines
>         need to
>             be part of the domain ?
>

>         What do you mean "to be part of the domain"?
>         We have unix/linux machines in each NIS domain, they are a
>         part of their domain.
>         Could you define your question more precisely?
>
>             You mention that they are in different domains, do you mean
>             domains or do you mean workgroups?
>
>         What I mean is NIS domain. We have three different domains, so
>         I plan to start up one samba server for each domain separately
>         As for workgroup, we only have one workgroup for windows, so
>         it won't be an issue.
>
>             Are any machines in a windows domain already?
>
>         No.
>
>             Finally, if you cannot set up a new domain, do your users
>         need to
>             own files on your samba server or do they just need to read &
>             store files on the samba server.
>
>             Rowland
>
>         They just need to read & store files on the samba server.
>
>         Regards,
>         Roger
>

>     OK, from what you have posted, you have Unix & windows
>     workstations and they are in groups. You will probably be better
>     of creating a new AD domain with a number of sites, you can use
>     the DCs to authenticate all the users & groups and if push comes
>     to shove, use the DCs as fileservers. Your users would log into
>     their workstation (either windows or Unix) and have all their data
>     to hand, the windows users would use the standard AD capabilities
>     and the Unix users would use the RFC2307 attributes that are built
>     into a Samba AD as standard.
>
>     This will give you is centralisation of user & group maintenance,
>     your users info will exist in just one place, you only need to add
>     a user once, you can do it without leaving your chair, unlike a
>     WORKGROUP, where you will have to visit *every* workstation or
>     server that a user will connect to. I have been there, done that
>     and my workgroup was scattered over three counties! It isn't easy.
>
>     Rowland
>

> Geez! It's too deep for me to understand.
> I did achieve what I want with old samba version only doing some
> simple settings,
> I tried to reduplicate the result using new samba version but it failed.
> I didn't expect it comes to this way you mentioned, it seems more

No, I doubt if you will be unable to understand it, you just haven't had
any experience yet.

> We do have an AD for PC windows workgroup. Why should I need to create
> a new AD?

No, again I doubt you are using an AD for a workgroup, domain yes,
workgroup no.

> Would you please give me an example or show me how to setup samba as
> you said?

OK, start here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller

> I have no experience creating a AD domain and DCs.

Everybody has to start somewhere.

OK, if you do not want to go down this path, then try this smb.conf

[global]
     workgroup = WORKGROUP
     server string = ****
     netbios name = *****
     printcap name = /dev/null
     load printers = no
     disable spoolss = yes
     printing = bsd
     dns proxy = no
     map to guest = Bad User
     guest ok = yes

This should work without adding any users to the server, anybody that
connects gets mapped to the guest user, but this does mean that your
users cannot own anything on the server and anybody will be able to read
or delete anything!!!

You just need to add whatever shares you require (and alter it to suit
your workgroup etc).

Rowland