[Samba] session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 11:43:16 UTC 2015

On 04/11/15 11:33, Roger Wu wrote:

> <mailto:rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com>>:
>
>     On 04/11/15 10:28, Roger Wu wrote:
>

>             OK, you seem to be trying to set up a standalone server,
>         you do
>             realise that you will need to create your users on this as
>         well as
>             on the windows machines.
>

>         yes, but I hope samba can use NIS authentication instead of
>         using it's own database.
>         Do I need to use smbpasswd to create user accounts again? It's
>         against what I need...
>

>     Well, as I don't know what you what, I can only advise on what I
>     see, and I see you trying to setup a standalone server.
>

>             You might as well remove these lines, they are the defaults:
>
>                     security = USER
>                     passdb backend = tdbsam
>

>         Don't I need to set the security level?
>

>     You don't need them because they are the *default* settings.
>

>             You might as well remove this line, it isn't needed on a
>             standalone server:
>
>                     idmap config * : backend = tdb
>
>         I didn't  set these parameters. They are reported by testparm
>         command.
>

>     Don't post a smb.conf from testparm without saying so, this is
>     probably why you are getting the other two lines above, testparm
>     shows *all* lines in smb.conf, the ones you added *and* the
>     default ones.
>

>     I think you are going to have to tell us just what you are trying
>     to achieve. Also if your windows machines are part of a domain.
>
>     Rowland
>
> Please pardon me for poor English. I tried to describe what I want as
> clear as I can.
> My goal is to make our users can access their own workstation account
> and personal files from windows XP/7.
> So, it seems to me that if I can setup a samba server and let users
> login from windows using NIS authentication,
> that would be perfect, then I don't need to create smb accounts again.

OK, what you are trying to do is possible, but before we can help you,
we need just a little more information.
How many users and workstations do you have?
Do you have any Unix Workstations?

You should never apologise for poor English, I do not know what your
language is, but I can guarantee I don't speak it, I only speak English :-)

Rowland