[Samba] session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 10:57:05 UTC 2015

On 04/11/15 10:44, mathias dufresne wrote:
> Once again: Samba always comes  with its own users database.

Not always, if you are running Samba as a domain member, then the main
user database is stored on a DC, although they will be cached locally.
If however as the OP seems to be doing, you are running samba as a
Standalone server, you need to have a local database that is totally
separate from any other user database, this is known as running as a
WORKGROUP and it gets terribly messy after about 10 users.

The OP needs to explain just what his requirements are.

 > You have Samba so you have Samba users in addition of systems users.
 > You have to use smbpasswd -a username. And telling that, I'm not
 > asking you anything, I'm telling you what you have to do to solve
 > your issue.

Yes, in a workgroup, you have to have system users and Samba users.

Rowland