[Samba] session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 10:41:19 UTC 2015

On 04/11/15 10:28, Roger Wu wrote:

>     OK, you seem to be trying to set up a standalone server, you do
>     realise that you will need to create your users on this as well as
>     on the windows machines.
>

> yes, but I hope samba can use NIS authentication instead of using it's
> own database.
> Do I need to use smbpasswd to create user accounts again? It's against
> what I need...

Well, as I don't know what you what, I can only advise on what I see,
and I see you trying to setup a standalone server.

>     You might as well remove these lines, they are the defaults:
>
>             security = USER
>             passdb backend = tdbsam
>

> Don't I need to set the security level?

You don't need them because they are the *default* settings.

>     You might as well remove this line, it isn't needed on a
>     standalone server:
>
>             idmap config * : backend = tdb
>
> I didn't  set these parameters. They are reported by testparm command.

Don't post a smb.conf from testparm without saying so, this is probably
why you are getting the other two lines above, testparm shows *all*
lines in smb.conf, the ones you added *and* the default ones.

> Where can I remove that?
>

>     and you don't need to run the winbindd deamon.
>
>     You really should remove these lines, you are trying to make
>     windows do something with passwords it really doesn't want to do:
>
>             encrypt passwords = No
>             client NTLMv2 auth = No
>             client lanman auth = Yes
>             client plaintext auth = Yes
>
>     Rowland
>
> I searched some articles on the internet said I need to set above
> lines for the samba server and
> plaintextpasswords = 1 for windows due to different encrypted methods
> between windows and workstation.
> I added those lines and It seems worked for samba old version (3.6.23)
> . How come it wind up irrelevant for 4.2.5 version?
> Don't I need to set anything for this issue?
> I've been removed most of these lines you suggested, which means I
> nearly set nothing.
> but it still didn't work and I got the same message.
>
> [root at testcad16 samba]# smbclient -L //testcad16
> Enter root's password:
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>

> Here is my smb.conf setting.
>
> [root at testcad16 samba]# testparm
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
> Processing section "[homes]"
> Processing section "[printers]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
>
> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         workgroup = SMBTEST
>         server string = Samba Server Version %v
>         idmap config * : backend = tdb
>         hosts allow = 127. 172.26.
>         cups options = raw
>

> [homes]
>         comment = Home Directories
>         read only = No
>         browseable = No
>

> [printers]
>         comment = All Printers
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         printable = Yes
>         print ok = Yes
>         browseable = No
>

> Regards,
> Roger

I think you are going to have to tell us just what you are trying to
achieve. Also if your windows machines are part of a domain.

Rowland