[Samba] Pam_mount not working with "sec=krb5"

buhorojo buhorojo.lcb at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 12:12:47 UTC 2015

On 02/11/15 12:54, Ole Traupe wrote:
> Hi all, this is not really a Samba question, but related, and I hope
> that some of you are using this and can tell me what I am doing wrong.
>
> On a member server, I can mount my shares by hand specifying "-o
> username=xxx,domain=yyy,password=zzz". But as soon as I put "sec=krb5"
> in the mount options (and leaving out the password part), I get this
> error:
>
> # mount error(126): Required key not available
>
> I did an extensive web search and saw that many people have problems
> here. But I found no definite solution. I tried to specify
> 'cruid=%(USERID)' in the case of pam_mount, or 'cruid=12345' in the
> manual case (12345 being the literal uid of the user). I also tried
> getting rid of the strange file ending of the krb5 key cache, because
> in my case it is e.g. "krb5cc_12345_Zb1yLU". And I tried chowning the
> file to root:root instead of user:domain users. Nothing worked.
>
> The krb5 key cache files are created in /tmp on user logon. Is this
> the correct lookup directory, in the first place?
>
> Kerberos as such is working correctly. Domain logons work, kinit as
> well. This is on CentOS 6.7. Pam_mount was installed via the Nux
> Desktop repo.
>
> Best,
> Ole

Hi
You need multiuser.

Either use a key you already have:
mount -t cifs //yourserver/share /share -osec=krb5,
username=MACHINE$,multiuser

Or create an unprivileged domain user to mount the shares and add that
key to the keytab. Use the mutiuser switch to mount the share on behalf
of anyone who needs it:
mount -t cifs //yourserver/share /share -osec=krb5,
username=user4cifs,multiuser

We recommend the second method as the first way is easy to hack.
HTH