[Samba] Replicate Samba3 to Samba4

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Thu May 28 12:51:01 MDT 2015

Hello Mario,

Am 28.05.2015 um 01:23 schrieb Mario Codeniera:
> Is it possible to replicate any major versions of Samba? As I don't know if
> there are major improvements/news on the trust relationship with Samba AD
> to Windows AD.
>
> Currently our setup is Samba3 DC with trust with Windows AD, i used to able
> to upgrade it on the dummy environment to Samba AD, but again the trust
> seems not working or maybe I missed something on my configurations.

First let me teach some terms, because wrong usage often cause
misconceptions: ;-)
- DCs you have in an Active Directory
- PDC/BDC you have in an NT4 domain
- So you have an Windows AD with DC(s) and a Samba NT4 domain with a PDC
and maybe BDC(s).

Some are working in it, but domain trusts between AD domains/forests
aren't finished yet.

So you're having a trust between your Samba NT4 domain and your Windows
AD at the moment? What do you want to achieve with your posting? Do you
want to migrate your Samba NT4 domain to Samba AD? This isn't possible,
because of the missing trust support (see above).

Or do you just want to get rid of your old 3.x version and move to a
more recent version? In this case simply upgrade. You can still run 4.x
as an NT4 domain, like you could in the past.

Can you give some information what your goal is?

Regards,
Marc