[Samba] How to properly demote a W2003 from Samba4?

G.W. Haywood samba at jubileegroup.co.uk
Tue May 19 08:39:09 MDT 2015

Hi there,

On Mon, 18 May 2015, Rowland Penney wrote:

> ... all the available tools seem to think that there are only 5 fsmo
> roles, but there are definitely 7, the two that get missed are:
>
> CN=Infrastructure,DC=DomainDnsZones,domain_dn
> CN=Infrastructure,DC=ForestDnsZones, domain_dn
>
> Would you be interested in trying out a new version of fsmo.py (a
> part of samba-tool) that I have altered ?  This shows all 7 fsmo
> roles and transfers/siezes all the roles, if you do decide to use
> it, you use it at your own risk and I would suggest you try it first
> on a copy of your DC.

I'd be very interested.  I have a W2003 server to retire.  The server
is a VM, so breaking it isn't an issue.

Unfortunately getting the customer to get off his @r$e is very much an
issue.  I only managed to retire the same customer's W2000 server when
its hardware finally died *last*October* so don't hold your breath.

--

73,
Ged.