[Samba] getent passwd and getent group reporting only local users

Mario Pio Russo mariopiorusso at ie.ibm.com
Tue May 19 08:22:43 MDT 2015

Good day all

I am working with samba4.2.1 DC, created after upgrading from samba3

the DC works fine, however the commands :

"getent passwd" and "getent group"

reports only local users.

however I am able to see all the id from the ccdc domain with the command
"id"

root at ccdc-samba4:~# id rocheian
uid=3439(rocheian) gid=513(domain users) groups=513(domain users),871
(smbconnectionssupport),759(domainusers),3000004(BUILTIN\users)

furthermore the command "wbinfo -u -g" is able to show All the users and
group from the domaiun

my smb.conf is the following

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = CCDC
        realm = CCDC.LAN
        netbios name = CCDC-SAMBA4
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
        dns forwarder = 9.0.138.50
        #server services = -winbindd +winbind
        ##For debugging
        #dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, wkssvc, rpcecho, samr,
netlogon, lsarpc, spoolss, drsuapi, dssetup, unixinfo, browser, eventlog6,
backupkey, dnsserver, remote, winreg, srvsvc
        #auth methods = sam, winbind, ntdomain, ntdomain:winbind

        idmap config CCDC:backend = ad
        idmap config CCDC:schema_mode = rfc2307
        idmap config CCDC:range = 10-4000000

        # Store UIDs/GIDs for all other domains (including local
        # accounts/groups of this server) in a tdb file
        idmap config *:backend = tdb
        idmap config *:range = 2000000000-9999999

        # Use home directory and shell information from AD
        winbind nss info = rfc2307

[netlogon]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/ccdc.lan/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
        read only = No

and my nsswitch.conf is the following:

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         compat winbind
group:          compat winbind
shadow:         compat winbind

hosts:          files dns
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

Note that if i uncomment the following line from the smb.conf:

 #server services = -winbindd +winbind

and reboot samba service, then getent works perfectlly fine, however I need
that config line as without it my linux machines are not able to join the
domain.

any help is welcome

thanks!

Mario Pio Russo, System Admin SWG IT Services Dublin, Phone & FAX: +353 1
815 2236, eMail: mariopiorusso at ie.ibm.com
IBM Ireland Product Distribution Limited registered in Ireland with number
92815. Registered Office: IBM House, Shelbourne Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4