[Samba] Posix vs. Windows File/Directory Permissions

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Fri May 15 09:24:26 MDT 2015

Greetings, Mike!

>> Not sure which email you mean. I don't think that this can happen. If the
>> Linux acls are modified, the Windows ACLs are destroyed and all is based on
>> the Linux permissions and acls (which looks strange when viewed from
>> Window). If the Windows ACLs are modified, Samba automatically adjusts the
>> Linux acls accordingly. They should always be in sync.
>>

> Klaus,

> I think my test demonstrated what you are saying.
> I changed a share's permissions from root:root rwxrwxrwx to root:root
> rwxrwx---
> And then the windows AD Administrator account was no longer able to access
> the share.
> If I made a linux user account on the server called "Administrator" and did:

> setfacl -R -m -u:Administrator:rwx /mnt/data

> then the Administrator would be configured using posix acl's for access to
> the share.

You don't even begin to understand the difference between ACL, POSIX access
mask, user names and user ID's.

> I guess the moral of the story:

Moral of the story: You've compared apples to oranges and claimed that bananas
are better.

> Is that close to correct?

That's not even relevant.

When you've created a linux user called "Administrator" is had nothing to do
with AD user "Administrator".
When you changed POSIX access bits on a file it had very little to do with
ACL.
I... I just don't know how to explain it differently, than what had been said
in a whole thread already.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin