[Samba] Posix vs. Windows File/Directory Permissions

Mike 1100100 at gmail.com
Fri May 15 09:32:41 MDT 2015

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
wrote:

> the real problem in that thread is that the ordinary chmod/chown
> permissions are called repeatly "acls" which is not wrong by the definiton
> of "access control list" but mixing that with "windows ACLs" and "posix
> ACLs" where on the FS layer we just have ACLs set with "setfacl" it leads
> to total confusion and nobody knows what people are talking about

Admitted.

Access Control Lists extend the standard UNIX permission model in a POSIX
compatible way.
ACL supersedes the standard UNIX permission model.
I've used the standard *nix permission model with local user accounts for
so long that I can't seem to incorporate this new and separate ACL model.
I need to drop concerns about *nix permission settings and think in ACL.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this group and list.

Thank you,

Mike