[Samba] Posix vs. Windows File/Directory Permissions

Mike 1100100 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 11:53:31 MDT 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Klaus Hartnegg <hartnegg at uni-freiburg.de>
wrote:

> Am 13.05.2015 um 17:30 schrieb Sébastien Le Ray:
>
>> No they aren't
>>>

>> Yes they are
>>

> Not sure about this, but mostly irrelevant anyway, because of this effect
> in the other direction:
>
> If you have set Windows ACLs, and then change unix permissions or acls,
> this will destroy the Windows ACLs. Changing owner or group from within
> Linux also has this side effect. For this reason it is better to use only
> Linux permissions (mode bits and acls), or only Windows ACLs, but not try
> to mix both.

Hello Klaus,

This is one of the concerns I am trying to determine.
It does seem like it is difficult to keep both acl systems functioning
together, and simply not optimal to do so.
Using Rowland Penny's earlier example, I can see how a sysadmin can easily
create conflicting permissions amongst multiple users, groups, and then OS
acl types too.