[Samba] Posix vs. Windows File/Directory Permissions

Sébastien Le Ray sebastien-samba at orniz.org
Wed May 13 09:49:10 MDT 2015

Le 13/05/2015 17:41, Rowland Penny a écrit :

> a = access
> c = control
> l = list
>
> access control list OR permissions
>
> lower case for UNIX,
> UPPER CASE for Windows

OK… I guess I should stop here. But please don't forget to send a patch
to Andreas Gruenbacher, the setfacl man page author since he states «
This utility sets Access Control Lists (ACLs) of files and directories.
» so the world can stop using the wrong terminology and start using
yours. btw getfact will also return the same info as ls -l if you use it
on a file without any ACL.

So yes, Windows ACL are translated to Linux ACL, that's why you need acl
mount option when using a filesystem that does not use them by default
and that's why, as Andrey Repin states, you cannot access a file as a
windows user if its UID isn't allowed to access the file using Unix
rights and that's why you will turn crazy looking out why a user is
wiped out Windows ACL if he doesn't have a unix uid value and you use
RFC2307.

Regards