[Samba] hardware sizing and configuration

Daniel Carrasco Marín danielmadrid19 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 14:29:51 MDT 2015

> Understanding that a samba 4.x ADDC should be run on a an os separate than
> a samba 4. file server, I was thinking of virtualizing both. Is it common
> to have a single physcial server with two VM's running samba?
>
> If some is there a recommendation on how much hardware to start with and
> how much virtual hardware to give each VM. I'm wondering about virtual nics
> and if there may be a problems have multiple vm's accessing the network
> through a single physcial nic.

I've about 7 VM in same server with 6 using the same nic and there is no
problem, you only have to keep in mind the hardware requirements and nic
bandwith. About hardware, I've a fs on a separate physical machine with 4GB
RAM (3GB cached) , an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5410 @ 2.33GHz and a RAID10.
About the VM recomendations, i've the AD on a Debian 7 VM with 386MB RAM,
15GB of HDD space, 512MB of swap and 2 VCPUs. 1GB of Swap is recommended
(I've to change my server swap).

You need a good drive performance for FS then i don't know if is a good
idea to use a VM drive instead physical drives. Maybe you can use the VM as
domain and the physical machine as FS.

Greetings!!