[Samba] hardware sizing and configuration

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue May 12 14:16:20 MDT 2015

Am 12.05.2015 um 21:50 schrieb David Bear:
> Understanding that a samba 4.x ADDC should be run on a an os separate
> than a samba 4. file server, I was thinking of virtualizing both. Is it
> common to have a single physcial server with two VM's running samba?
>
> If some is there a recommendation on how much hardware to start with and
> how much virtual hardware to give each VM. I'm wondering about virtual
> nics and if there may be a problems have multiple vm's accessing the
> network through a single physcial nic.
>
> This is an ADDC and file server for a small office so numbers of users
> will be below 50. Any recommendations?

for below 50 users don't worry any second about virtualization, we have
a whole infrastrcuture for hundrets of domains and all sort of services
(database, fileserver, webserver, mailserver, spamfirewall, dhcp, dns,
voip, fax) on a single server with a identical one as failover

the only thing you need take care of is the storage performance and even
that is in real life faster in case of virtualization because you can
setup one shared storage with a lot of disks in the spindle for
performance and redundancy which will outperform a cheap and small
storage on several physical servers in most workloads