[Samba] Authenticating Apache Against Active Directory

James lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 08:13:09 MDT 2015

On 5/12/2015 8:31 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 11:24 AM, James <lingpanda101 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>     Using Nagios on Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS. I'm attempting to authenticate
>> users against Samba 4.2.1. When I edit 'apache2.conf' with
>>

>> <Directory />
>>         Options FollowSymLinks
>>         AllowOverride None
>>         Require all granted
>>         Allow from all
>>         AuthName "AD authentication"
>>         AuthBasicProvider ldap
>>         AuthType Basic
>>         AuthLDAPGroupAttribute member
>>         AuthLDAPGroupAttributeIsDN On
>>         AuthLDAPURL
>> ldap://dc1.domain.local/172.16.232.29:389/cn=Users,dc=domain?sAMAccountName?sub?(objectClass=*)
>>         AuthLDAPBindDN cn=apache-connect,cn=Users,domain
>>         AuthLDAPBindPassword password
>>         require ldap-group cn=Nagios-Admins,cn=Users,domain
> Why are you bothering to use anything outside of Kerberos? Very few
> web projects actually need any group, uid, or other information and
> are much simplified by simply relying in the inherent Kerberos of a
> modern Samba server or AD based service. It also helps eliminate any
> need for LDAP credentials with which to issue LDAP queries, and lends
> itself much more easily to genuine "single-sign-on" solutions.
>
>                         Nico Kadel-Garcia
Nico,

    Went with Kerberos and everything went smoothly. How do I limit what
users are allowed access?

Here is my Apache config for nagios in case it helps anyone.

<location /"nagios.html">
       AuthType Kerberos
       AuthName "Network Login"
       KrbMethodNegotiate On
       KrbMethodK5Passwd On
       KrbAuthRealms DOMAIN.LOCAL
       require valid-user
       Krb5KeyTab /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/httpd.keytab
       KrbLocalUserMapping On
</Location>

I had to install Kerberos first for Apache(Debian based)on Ubuntu
14.04.1 LTS

apt-get install libapache2-mod-auth-kerb

--
-James