[Samba] bind fails to start w/missing records

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sun May 10 11:23:37 MDT 2015

On 10/05/15 17:25, Steve Thompson wrote:
> On Sun, 10 May 2015, Rowland Penny wrote:
>
>> You definitely seem to have problems there.
>
> Indeed I do :-(
>
>> You do know that there are 7 (yes seven) fsmoroles ?
>
> Oh crap. I checked on the original DC before I demoted it, and there
> were only 5 displayed, so I thought that was all I should have. At
> least, I transferred -all roles, and only those 5 made it. This is
> going to be a pain to fix.
>
> Steve

It might not be as bad as what you think, do you have the two DNs ?

ldbedit -e nano -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb -b
"CN=Infrastructure,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu"

(the above should all on one line)

If the above command (possibly changed for your sam.ldb location)
produces a result, check if there is a 'fSMORoleOwner' attribute and if
there is, does it point to your first DC (or wherever the other fsmo
roles point to) ? If it is there and does point to the correct place,
then OK. If it is there and points to the wrong DC, then edit it to
point at the right DC. If it isn't there, then it will have to be
created, based on another of your DCs.

Repeat for the other DN.

Rowland