[Samba] bind fails to start w/missing records

Steve Thompson smt at vgersoft.com
Sun May 10 09:08:17 MDT 2015

Roland,

Thank you very much for your attention to this. You should get a medal for
all the help you give everyone on this list.

On Sun, 10 May 2015, Rowland Penny wrote:

> Why ? And why don't they show up when you ask for the zones with samba-tool ?

I have that many subnets. As for why they don't show up: they are defined
in BIND's configuration and not samba's; they never did show up with
samba-tool. I wasn't expecting that they should.

> Just check that it isn't just non replicating attributes that are different.

It looks like a real problem. This is what I get when I compare DC1 and
DC2 (again, DC1 and DC3 are the same):

* Result for [DOMAIN]: FAILURE

Attributes found only in ldap://baxter:

     isCriticalSystemObject
     cn
     ipsecName
     fSMORoleOwner
     objectClass
     ipsecISAKMPReference
     iPSECNegotiationPolicyAction
     showInAdvancedViewOnly
     ipsecFilterReference
     priorSetTime
     instanceType
     ipsecOwnersReference
     distinguishedName
     ipsecNFAReference
     msDS-TombstoneQuotaFactor
     ipsecData
     description
     objectCategory
     objectGUID
     whenCreated
     systemFlags
     ipsecNegotiationPolicyReference
     ipsecID
     lastSetTime
     iPSECNegotiationPolicyType
     name
     memberOf
     ipsecDataType

* Result for [CONFIGURATION]: FAILURE

Attributes found only in ldap://baxter:

     distinguishedName
     isCriticalSystemObject
     name
     objectCategory
     objectClass
     msDS-Behavior-Version
     description
     msDS-TombstoneQuotaFactor
     objectGUID
     showInAdvancedViewOnly
     systemFlags
     whenCreated
     fSMORoleOwner
     instanceType
     cn

* Result for [DNSDOMAIN]: FAILURE

Attributes found only in ldap://baxter:

     distinguishedName
     isCriticalSystemObject
     cn
     objectCategory
     objectClass
     objectGUID
     whenCreated
     showInAdvancedViewOnly
     systemFlags
     instanceType
     name

* Result for [DNSFOREST]: FAILURE

Attributes found only in ldap://baxter:

     distinguishedName
     isCriticalSystemObject
     cn
     objectCategory
     objectClass
     objectGUID
     whenCreated
     showInAdvancedViewOnly
     systemFlags
     instanceType
     name

and everything else is in order. "samba-tool drs showrepl" shows no
problems.

> Check your FSMO roles.

I've done that; this appears to be in order (DC1 = baxter):

InfrastructureMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS Settings,CN=BAXTER,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu
RidAllocationMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS Settings,CN=BAXTER,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu
PdcEmulationMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS Settings,CN=BAXTER,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu
DomainNamingMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS Settings,CN=BAXTER,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu
SchemaMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS Settings,CN=BAXTER,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu

-Steve
Steve Thompson                 E-mail:      smt AT vgersoft DOT com
Voyager Software LLC           Web:         http://www DOT vgersoft DOT com
39 Smugglers Path              VSW Support: support AT vgersoft DOT com
Ithaca, NY 14850
   "186,282 miles per second: it's not just a good idea, it's the law"