[Samba] bind fails to start w/missing records

Steve Thompson smt at vgersoft.com
Sun May 10 08:34:58 MDT 2015

On Sun, 10 May 2015, Rowland Penny wrote:

> Have you really got 19 reverse zones for your samba 4 active directory ?

Yep :-)

> Can you try running 'samba-tool ldapcmp ldap://<YOUR_FIRST_DC> ldap://<YOUR_SECOND_DC>

Interesting. DC1 and DC2 have many differences; DC1 and DC3 are the same.
Maybe I will demote DC2 and join it again.

> Check if you actually have dns records:

For DC1 (host name baxter):

dn: DC=baxter,DC=europa.icse.cornell.edu,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu
objectClass: top
objectClass: dnsNode
instanceType: 4
whenCreated: 20150430150532.0Z
whenChanged: 20150430150532.0Z
uSNCreated: 4725
uSNChanged: 4725
showInAdvancedViewOnly: TRUE
name: baxter
objectGUID: 739a5762-719a-44d2-968e-f8b12f5bc07b
dnsRecord:: BAABAAXwAAAWAAAAAAADhAAAAAAnazcAChbICw==
objectCategory: CN=Dns-Node,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu
dc: baxter
distinguishedName: DC=baxter,DC=europa.icse.cornell.edu,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu

For DC2 (host name bear):

dn: DC=bear,DC=europa.icse.cornell.edu,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu
objectClass: top
objectClass: dnsNode
instanceType: 4
whenCreated: 20150504141356.0Z
whenChanged: 20150504141356.0Z
uSNCreated: 4897
uSNChanged: 4897
showInAdvancedViewOnly: TRUE
name: bear
objectGUID: 93d1aaa6-8c41-4754-8b27-370870b9129d
dnsRecord:: BAABAAXwAAA1AAAAAAADhAAAAACGazcAChbIDA==
objectCategory:
CN=Dns-Node,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu
dc: bear
distinguishedName: DC=bear,DC=europa.icse.cornell.edu,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu

and for DC3 (host name benford):

dn: DC=benford,DC=europa.icse.cornell.edu,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu
objectClass: top
objectClass: dnsNode
instanceType: 4
whenCreated: 20150504150126.0Z
whenChanged: 20150504150126.0Z
uSNCreated: 4996
uSNChanged: 4996
showInAdvancedViewOnly: TRUE
name: benford
objectGUID: 6701ab99-d883-44da-8ebf-769a98274a2c
dnsRecord:: BAABAAXwAABGAAAAAAADhAAAAACHazcAChbIDQ==
objectCategory: CN=Dns-Node,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu
dc: benford
distinguishedName: DC=benford,DC=europa.icse.cornell.edu,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu

> To see defined zones:

   2 zone(s) found

   pszZoneName                 : europa.icse.cornell.edu
   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
   Version                     : 50
   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_DOMAIN_DEFAULT DNS_DP_ENLISTED
   pszDpFqdn                   : DomainDnsZones.europa.icse.cornell.edu

   pszZoneName                 : _msdcs.europa.icse.cornell.edu
   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
   Version                     : 50
   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT DNS_DP_ENLISTED
   pszDpFqdn                   : ForestDnsZones.europa.icse.cornell.edu

with identical output from all three DC's.

> To see dns server info:

   dwVersion                   : 0xece0205
   fBootMethod                 : DNS_BOOT_METHOD_DIRECTORY
   fAdminConfigured            : FALSE
   fAllowUpdate                : TRUE
   fDsAvailable                : TRUE
   pszServerName               : BAXTER.europa.icse.cornell.edu
   pszDsContainer              : CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu
   aipServerAddrs              : ['10.22.200.11', '127.0.0.1']
   aipListenAddrs              : ['10.22.200.11', '127.0.0.1']
   aipForwarders               : []
   dwLogLevel                  : 0
   dwDebugLevel                : 0
   dwForwardTimeout            : 3
   dwRpcPrototol               : 0x5
   dwNameCheckFlag             : DNS_ALLOW_MULTIBYTE_NAMES
   cAddressAnswerLimit         : 0
   dwRecursionRetry            : 3
   dwRecursionTimeout          : 8
   dwMaxCacheTtl               : 86400
   dwDsPollingInterval         : 180
   dwScavengingInterval        : 0
   dwDefaultRefreshInterval    : 168
   dwDefaultNoRefreshInterval  : 168
   fAutoReverseZones           : FALSE
   fAutoCacheUpdate            : FALSE
   fRecurseAfterForwarding     : FALSE
   fForwardDelegations         : TRUE
   fNoRecursion                : FALSE
   fSecureResponses            : FALSE
   fRoundRobin                 : TRUE
   fLocalNetPriority           : FALSE
   fBindSecondaries            : FALSE
   fWriteAuthorityNs           : FALSE
   fStrictFileParsing          : FALSE
   fLooseWildcarding           : FALSE
   fDefaultAgingState          : FALSE
   dwRpcStructureVersion       : 0x2
   aipLogFilter                : []
   pwszLogFilePath             : None
   pszDomainName               : europa.icse.cornell.edu
   pszForestName               : europa.icse.cornell.edu
   pszDomainDirectoryPartition : DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu
   pszForestDirectoryPartition : DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=europa,DC=icse,DC=cornell,DC=edu
   dwLocalNetPriorityNetMask   : 0xff
   dwLastScavengeTime          : 0
   dwEventLogLevel             : 4
   dwLogFileMaxSize            : 0
   dwDsForestVersion           : 2
   dwDsDomainVersion           : 2
   dwDsDsaVersion              : 4
   fReadOnlyDC                 : FALSE

and on DC2 and DC3 they are the same, except for host names and IP
addresses.

There were two DC's that were members of the copnfiguration for about two
years; these two were demoted and the three that I have now were added
recently. Maybe something went wrong with the demotion of the original
two, but the BIND problem did not surface until yesterday evening; the
BIND servers had been restarted multiple times before then (and after the
demotion of the original two).

-Steve
Steve Thompson                 E-mail:      smt AT vgersoft DOT com
Voyager Software LLC           Web:         http://www DOT vgersoft DOT com
39 Smugglers Path              VSW Support: support AT vgersoft DOT com
Ithaca, NY 14850
   "186,282 miles per second: it's not just a good idea, it's the law"