[Samba] By design/possible bug? Folders unmarked from sharing are still accessible

Caesar Samsi cmsamsi at gmail.com
Sat May 9 14:39:56 MDT 2015

I'm on LinuxMint 17 Cinnamon desktop, Samba 4.2.1, and Windows 7

I can share folders fine, but when I unshare a folder, it remains visible
and accessible to users. It should disappear and become inaccessible when
unshared.

Repro steps - sharing the folder:

1.       Open up the Cinnamon file manager, navigate to Home folder.

2.       Right click on Downloads, choose Sharing Options

3.       Set the Share this Folder checkbox

4.       Click Modify Share (if an error occurs here, usershares need to be
set higher than 0 in smb.conf)

5.       The folder can now be browsed from a Windows 7 PC

Repro steps - unsharing the folder:

1.       Open up the Cinnamon file manager, navigate to Home folder.

2.       Right click on Downloads, choose Sharing Options

3.       Clear the Share this Folder checkbox

4.       Click Modify Share

6.       The folder is still accessible, browse-able, and writeable.

The workaround is to do: sudo service smbd restart

Impact: in the scenario where users need flexibility to create their own
shares this creates a bottleneck in the system admin having to recycle smbd
which then has further impact of disrupting other operations using Samba.