[Samba] [samba] 4.2.1 Indexing attributes

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Thu May 7 03:47:51 MDT 2015

Hi all,

System is Centos 7 and Samba is 4.2.1 sernet version.

The database contains 120k users and 150k computers. It's size is 3.3GB on
DC01 where the imports were performed and 2.8GB on the second DC.

I was trying to index uid attribute and I have a strange behaviour.
According to
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms679765%28v=vs.85%29.aspx it is
the "searchFlags" attribute of "dn:
CN=uid,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=tld" I have to modify.

Looking at that attribute on
"sam.ldb.d/CN\=SCHEMA\,CN\=CONFIGURATION\,DC\=DOMAIN\,DC\=TLD.ldb" ldb
file, this attribute is set to 8 which should mean "uid value is not
re-usable" ("Preserve this attribute in the tombstone object for deleted
objects." in MSDN doc).

I tried to set "searchFlags" to 47, 15, 1 and finally 9. Each time
ldbmodify answered "Modified 1 records successfully" but ldbsearch then
shows this attribute value was not modified.

Here are the commands and their results:

samba4-dc01:~# cat uid_searchflags_modification.ldif
dn: CN=uid,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=tld
changetype: modify
replace: searchFlags
searchFlags: 8
serachFlags: 47

samba4-dc01:~# ldbmodify -H
/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/CN\=SCHEMA\,CN\=CONFIGURATION\,DC\=DOMAIN\,DC\=TLD.ldb
uid_searchflags_modification.ldif
Modified 1 records successfully

samba4-dc01:~#  ldbsearch -H
/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/CN\=SCHEMA\,CN\=CONFIGURATION\,DC\=DOMAIN\,DC\=TLD.ldb
'(cn=uid)' searchflags
# record 1
dn: CN=uid,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=tld
searchFlags: 8

# returned 1 records
# 1 entries
# 0 referrals

Is this flag modifiable and if yes how to modify it?
If it is not modifiable how to proceed to index uid and others attributes?

Best regards,

Mathias Dufresne