[Samba] rid and ad backends differences

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed May 6 01:12:26 MDT 2015

> so I think ADS is not the best option in my case.
> From your explanation I'm in favour of RID backend as it seems more
>stable because of the static setup.

Your best options is : Use ADS, with backend RID.

If you have 1 DC and (or 1 extra member server )
than RID is you best option, no hassle uid/gid and RFC2307 things..
but beware if  you do things on linux.. than you can need uid/gids..
1 example, you cant share the user homedirs on differented server with rid..
because the by rid generated uid/gid wil be different per server.

If you want to use more server, then we advice you to use the AD backend.

Gr.

Louis