[Samba] 4.2.1 ./configure --sbindir & --bindir settings is different from binary?

Caesar Samsi cmsamsi at gmail.com
Tue May 5 09:28:37 MDT 2015

Hi Andrew, Andrey,

The Paths shown below is after make install.

What is configured is --sbindir=/usr/sbin and --bindir=/usr/bin

I've actually figured that out. Smbd -b reports what is the _actual_ directory it is in, not the configured path.

--sbindir and --bindir specify _installation_ path and as such, make install does copy files to the right places.

Next open issue is how to make samba start automatically at boot or using service smbd start command.

Samba is running on LinuxMint / Ubuntu which uses the Upstart init system.

How do I do that?

Thank you, Caesar.

P.S. Andrey, Thank you for the tip about sudo usage!