[Samba] post make install, sudo service samba start ->service not recognized?

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Mon May 4 22:55:43 MDT 2015

Greetings, Caesar Samsi!

> I've successfully compiled 4.2.1, done make install, and run testparm as
> well as smbd -b to check the build. Looks good.

> So now how do I start the service? If I just do [sudo service samba start] I
> get "Service not recognized"?

To start the service in the way you are trying to do it, you will need service
definition scripts installed in appropriate places.
They are OS distribution-specific, not necessarily included in the source,
and/or not installed by default.
They are probably still there somewhere, you will just need to copy them to
proper places.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin