[Samba] Domains, vpn and bowse lists (samba 4.2)

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Mon Mar 30 10:50:04 MDT 2015

Am 30.03.2015 um 18:35 schrieb Reindl Harald:

> Am 30.03.2015 um 18:16 schrieb jd at ionica.lv:
>> I apologize, if the questions are simple, but its been a long time since
>> I use Windows as enhanced typewriter only. The need to implement domain
>> etc arose just suddenly.
>>
>> I am trying to implement VPN (and succeeded to implement it), even able
>> to join windows clients to the Samba AD domain over VPN, but I am
>> confused by not getting the browse list of computers for the network I
>> connect to. I can access particular machine or file server if I enter
>> its name and I can browse through shares, if I have respective perms,
>> but there is no "folder" displaying machines on-line
>
> well, routed or bridged VPN
>
> in case of routet broadcasts are likely not make it through

you can solve it with i.e openvpn TAP interface tunnel ending either on
the samba server itself or at the vpn gateway with samba installed too (
configure browsing proxy etc) , but for sure it will take some time
until the browse lists are in sync. Using links or static shares maybe
better option then trust and wait on browsing

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG