[Samba] Samba 4.1 gentent, ls, no display domain user name on Primary ACDC but wbinfo -u yes

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 23 03:26:08 MDT 2015

On 23/03/15 00:55, Jhon P wrote:
> It will be necessary to join this PDC to the domain?

Firstly, it is a 'DC' not a 'PDC', there really is no concept of a
Primary Domain Controller in active directory, other than one of the
FSMO roles. These FSMO roles are the only differences between DCs ,
other than this, all DCs are the same (or should)

You do not join a DC to the domain unless it is a second (or subsequent)
DC, when you provision a DC or classicupgrade a PDC, it is automatically
joined to the domain.

> I did this once and it was not me well and I had to restore the backup.
>
> The samba documentation does not say anything of this.
> Remember this isnt a member server this is the PDC, on samba ACDC doc
> say this:
>
> "We /*_do not recommend_* using the Domain Controller as a file
> Server. This is due to issues with the winbind internal to the Domain
> Controller./"
>
> But I also need to use it because I had no other server to use as a
> file server.

It is not recommended, but you can do it, there are plenty of people who
post on here who do use a DC as a fileserver.

Just how many clients do you have and what sort ?

Rowland