[Samba] Debian Jessie AD DC w. BIND9 : DNS update fails for debian squeezy member server

Timo Altun olol13.samba at the-1337.org
Mon Mar 23 02:02:47 MDT 2015

Hello Samba Crowd,

finally had some more time to work on the problem today. I set up the
Wheezy VM, installed Samba, Winbind, Krb5-user and did the domain join.
With the configs from the wiki
<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server> I could
join the domain and retrieve the users, they are shown with getent passwd.
Problem is, the DNS update still does not work with Samba 3.6.6. and the
windows users can't access the shares (password dialog is shown, but
credentials do not work). The DNS failure I get on the wheezy VM says a bit
more than on the squeeze with Samba 3.5.6.:

net ads join -Uadministrator
Enter administrator's password:
Using short domain name -- MAYWEG.NET
Joined 'WHEEZYTEST' to realm 'intranet.mayweg.net'
DNS Update for wheezytest.intranet.mayweg.net failed:
ERROR_DNS_INVALID_MESSAGE
DNS update failed!

I also can't logon onto the wheezy machine with domain users...says
authentication error for administrator and "Could not update ICEAuthority
file /home/[user]/.ICEauthority", but that might be gnome related. As the
DNS issue doesn't seem to be caused by the older Samba version, I'll
continue trying to make it work on the Squeeze with 3.5.6..

The old smb.conf on that machine, where I had everything working but the
DNS updates, did not use a keytab and security = ADS. It used security =
domain. Is there any disadvantage to that?

I did not know, that once the clients see the AC DC, that there's no going
back. Once I test it in the live environment, I'll expose it to a small
portion of the network first then.

Greetings,
Timo