[Samba] Samba AD with external DNS server

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Fri Mar 20 21:20:48 MDT 2015

Hello,

>> We have Samba4 (Sernet, Version4.1) on a Debian Wheezy
>> server. There we try to use our Infoblox (It is our
>> primary and secondary DNS server) as an external DNS
>> server for the active directory on the samba4 server. It
>> doesn’t matter which setup option (Samba_internal,
>> bind_dlz, none) we use it doesn’t work.
>
>Yes, you are quite correct, it will not work. You need to set
>the Samba
>4 AD DC as the DNS server for the AD domain and then forward anything
>outside the AD domain to the infoblox device.

You can use external DNS server for AD, but it is strongly unrecommended.
If you want to use external DNS server,

 0) confirm Infoblox's DNS server is AD compatible
  See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755717%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
 1) choose setop option BIND9_FLATFILE
 2) pick up  the generated zone file (in /usr/local/samba/private/dns,
  if you install Samba from source)
 3) Add the defined resource records defined in the zone file
  to Infoblox's zone

But it is highly unrecommended. Because unless you enable Dynamic DNS
feature, if you change some AD settings for example adding new DCs,
configuring AD Site settings, ..., you have to manually update DNS
records corresponding to these.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at monyo.com> / @damemonyo
                   facebook.com/takahashi.motonobu