[Samba] Debian Jessie AD DC w. BIND9 : DNS update fails for debian squeezy member server

Timo Altun olol13.samba at the-1337.org
Fri Mar 20 10:56:14 MDT 2015

On 20 March 2015 at 17:00, Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> On 20/03/15 15:47, Timo Altun wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry it got confusing, changed the topic and I'll try to explain. I
>> am using Jessie on the DC. Server13 is a linux file server and domain
>> member, it is on squeeze. If possible, I do not want to upgrade it. The
>> problem here is, that it does not seem to generate a DNS record when
>> joining the domain and, after setting up the new smb.conf, the users aren't
>> passed on from winbind to the local authentication tools. It also caused
>> the single share I set up in the smb.conf to be unaccessible by user
>> administrator. Maybe something with the keytab file is not working.
>>

> You were confused :-D

And I most definitely still am :)
In general, am I right, that Kerberos is working as intended, when I am
able to get tickets?
Further, my old smb.conf used security = domain and no keytab...might this
be the reason for the winbind users not being transferred?
Maybe it's also necessary for DNS updates to have that part working.

>> Domain users have uidNumbers north of 10k, gidNumber are >20k. Doesn't
>> the classicupgrade function check if these are in order?
>> The errors in the /etc/hosts file were generated by my mail client. First
>> line is as you said Rowland.
>>

> As long as your uidNumbers and gidNumbers are inside '10000-999999', it
> should work, but there may be a problem because you are using squeeze with
> 3.5.6. As you do not want to upgrade squeeze, could you use backports, this
> will get you 3.6.6.

Would that help? I remember trying the backports, but it didn't go
smoothly. Is it normal on 3.5.6. that samba -V is an unknown command?
smbclient -V does work.
My intention of all this is to upgrade the current NT4 style domain to AD
with as few changes as possible besides the DC itself. There are just a
couple of other linux machines working as file servers, but most of them
are on squeeze. With only the installation/configuration of kerberos and
winbind I could get them to join the domain and have the old shares
working, but the DNS updates fail.
The windows clients don't even notice the new DC, which is perfect!

>> The krb.conf was as long and ugly as the smb.conf, already cut most of
>> it, but your 3 line example configuration did not work fully. With the
>> following getting kerberos tickets and the domain join are still working.
>>

> It works for me on Linux Mint 17 (aka Ubuntu 14.04)
>
> What does 'pam-auth-update' show for authentication methods.

Unix authentication
Winbind NT/Active Directory authentication
LDAP Authentication
GNOME Keyring Daemon - Login keyring management
ConsoleKit Session Management