[Samba] Samba AD DC and browsing of shares

Jānis je at ktf.rtu.lv
Fri Mar 20 01:25:19 MDT 2015

----- Vēstule no Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com> ---------
   Datums: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 21:59:39 +0000
Sūtītājs: Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>
   Temats: Re: [Samba] Samba AD DC and browsing of shares
Saņēmējs: samba at lists.samba.org

>>> You do not have to use samba 4 to create an AD DC, you can use
>>> samba 4 just like samba 3, as a standalone server, as a client in
>>> a windows domain, as an NT-4 style PDC, with or without Openldap
>>> etc, etc.
>>
>> So, that means i can re-compile samba(4) --without-ad-dc; configure
>> it as NT-4 style DC and have Win8.1 computers joining it?
>>
>> All I need is to have centralized management of users and their
>> permission in order to browse shares on samba sever (the same
>> machine with DC) + browsing the shares and printers on domain
>> members to which they have granted access.
>>
>> Janis
>>

> You can recompile it if you want to, but if you use packages from
> your distro, you shouldn't have to. What distro are you using?

Slackware(64-14.1), so I am used to re-building things to my liking :)

Janis

P.S. If the client still wants _AD_ DC - can i just build fileserver
using the same samba4 build I have for DC (I re-built it after
installation of heimdal 1.5.2), join it to the domain and have the
shares on FS browsable? Any howtos/hints for such configuration? For
the purpose of finding the best solution I already have virtual
network of 4 virtual machines (ADDC + 3 types of clients), virtual
file server will be fifth.