[Samba] Samba AD DC and browsing of shares

Jānis je at ktf.rtu.lv
Thu Mar 19 15:32:37 MDT 2015

----- Vēstule no Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com> ---------
   Datums: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 21:10:04 +0000
Sūtītājs: Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>
   Temats: Re: [Samba] Samba AD DC and browsing of shares
Saņēmējs: samba at lists.samba.org

> On 19/03/15 20:40, Jānis wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I know it is not right to have users' home directories and shared
>> maps on DC, but - is there any workaround which could enable
>> browsing of shares on Samba4 (4.2) AD DC like it was in good ole
>> times of Samba3 DC?
>>
>> I heard some workaround exists, but with no details an further references.
>>
>> Is it crucial to have AD DC if I have to join Windows 7, 8, 8.1 to
>> the domain and do not plan to use latest bells and whistles of
>> domain management, just centralized supervision of users (kind of)?
>>
>> Janis
>>

> You do not have to use samba 4 to create an AD DC, you can use samba
> 4 just like samba 3, as a standalone server, as a client in a
> windows domain, as an NT-4 style PDC, with or without Openldap etc,
> etc.

So, that means i can re-compile samba(4) --without-ad-dc; configure it
as NT-4 style DC and have Win8.1 computers joining it?

All I need is to have centralized management of users and their
permission in order to browse shares on samba sever (the same machine
with DC) + browsing the shares and printers on domain members to which
they have granted access.

Janis