[Samba] NFS4 ACLs with samba 3 (or 4)

Kevin Taylor groucho.64738 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 19 08:17:36 MDT 2015

> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 11:59:47 +0100
> From: Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE
> To: groucho.64738 at hotmail.com
> CC: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [Samba] NFS4 ACLs with samba 3 (or 4)
>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 01:17:34PM -0400, Kevin Taylor wrote:
> > I know this was discussed a lot a few years ago, but my google searches aren't quite getting me where I'm confident in the answer, so I figure I'd just ask again here if that's ok.
> >
> > Here's what we have, and what we'd like to do:
> >
> > Storage is a Netapp (cluster mode CDOT 8.2 I believe), it's NFS exported to our linux system.
> >
> > Linux system is CentOS 6 and can NFS mount the Netapp using version 4. NFSv3 doesn't support ACLs with Netapp, but NFSv4 does with the nfs4_setfacl and nfs4_getfacl commands.
> >
> > We'd like to share out the NFS mounted volume with samba, and retain the NFSv4 acl capability so that Windows users can set advanced permissions on the files.
> >

> > Is this possible?
> >
> > I've seen posts about the ZFS ability and the GPFS ability, but none of those are really what we're doing (I'm not sure why the backend would necessarily matter). Would one of the other vfs items work in this case? We're just NFS mounting onto the linux machine straight over TCP, nothing special like iscsi or custom drivers.
>
> The problem is that there is no common API on Linux to read and modify
> those NFSv4 ACLs. Both GPFS and possibly ZFS have their own idea how to
> view and set NFSv4 ACLs, so every file system needs its own adapter.
>
> I haven't recently followed the nfsv4 kernel client, so I don't know
> what the API for that would be these days. Do you have any pointers there?
>
> It should be moderate effort to adapt the relevant pieces from the GPFS
> and NFSv4 pieces of the modules/ subdirectory.
>
> Volker

I don't know if this helps or not, but here's the package info for it:

Name        : nfs4-acl-tools               Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 0.3.3                             Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 6.el6                         Build Date: Fri 22 Jun 2012 02:10:47 AM EDT
Install Date: Mon 31 Mar 2014 10:41:48 AM EDT      Build Host: c6b10.bsys.dev.centos.org
Group       : Applications/System           Source RPM: nfs4-acl-tools-0.3.3-6.el6.src.rpm
Size        : 104480                           License: BSD
Signature   : RSA/SHA1, Sun 24 Jun 2012 06:20:10 PM EDT, Key ID 0946fca2c105b9de
Packager    : CentOS BuildSystem <http://bugs.centos.org>
URL         : http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/
Summary     : The nfs4 ACL tools
Description :
This package contains commandline and GUI ACL utilities for the Linux
NFSv4 client.