[Samba] The RPC server is unavailable

Jesper Koivumäki jesper.koivumaki at kulturfonden.fi
Thu Mar 19 06:48:02 MDT 2015

>On 18/03/15 17:56, Jesper Koivumäki wrote:
>>/  Hi,
/>>/
/>>/  I'm running a samba 4.2 server on RedHat5 and for some reason I can't
/>>/  seem to logon using the AD Users and Computers -tool.
/>>/
/>>/  Whenever I try to connect to the PDC I get the following error:
/>>/
/>>/  "The following Domain Controller could not be contacted: <name of
/>>/  pdc>. The RPC server is unavailable."
/>>/
/>>/  I've checked for any possible firewall issues, but even with all
/>>/  firewalls turned off in between them, I still get the same error message.
/>>/
/>>/  I've also noticed I cannot access the server with the Administrator
/>>/  account over the network. When using smbclient I get
/>>/  NT_STATUS_INVALID_SID and if I try to connect as Administrator with a
/>>/  Windows 7 workstation, I just get a time out ("Error code: 0x80004005
/>>/  Unspecified error).
/>>/
/>>/  samba-tool works without a hitch, as do a number of other tools like
/>>/  ldbedit and wbinfo.
/>>/
/>>/
/>>/  I've followed the instructions by Rowland Penny I found in the
/>>/  archives for this mailing list:
/>>/
/>>/  http://samba.2283325.n4.nabble.com/Administrators-SID-is-invalid-td4674430.html
/>>/
/>>/
/>>/  But I just can't get the Administrator account to work. The same error
/>>/  has now also started propagating to some of my test accounts as well
/>>/  as my own main account.
/>>/
/>>/  mots might've fixed this by installing 4.1.0, but I have yet to try
/>>/  that. I figured I'd want to solve this with the current stable release.
/>>/
/>>/  Anybody got any suggestions on how to tackle this?
/>>/
/>
>WOW, fame at last, I got quoted :-D
>
>Where did you get samba4 from ?
>
>Can you post your smb.conf
>
>Rowland

Hello,

My mailinglist-Fu is clearly lacking, since I didn't get your message
sent to my inbox. Sorry about that.

I'm running the 4.2 that is currently linked on samba.org.

My smb.conf:

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = DOMAIN