[Samba] Domain controller in a chroot

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Tue Mar 17 09:03:50 MDT 2015

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015, Sébastien Le Ray wrote:

> What I really want is have something homogeneous, that is consistent UIDs,
> GIDs, homedir & so on (RFC2307) among dedicated file servers and mixed
> DC/file servers which seem to be impossible right now.

As long as you are using RFC2307 attributes for UID/GID, you can sidestep
the windbind problem entirely by using SSSD:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Local_user_management_and_authentication/sssd

I will admit that I haven't tested running a DC and fileserver on the same
machine using this method, but I don't see any reason it shouldn't work.
My understanding of the issue is just that the DC's internal winbind is
incomplete, so the file permissions will not work properly.  Using SSSD
should avoid that problem.