[Samba] Domain controller in a chroot

Sébastien Le Ray sebastien-samba at orniz.org
Tue Mar 17 08:49:43 MDT 2015

Le 17/03/2015 15:40, Peter Serbe a écrit :
> Hi Sébastien,
>
> Sébastien Le Ray schrieb am 17.03.2015 14:15:
>
>> So even with two interfaces and bind interfaces only you cannot do it? Sad
> I am by no means an *nix epert. Maybe it is possible - but I don't know
> anyone how ever talked about doing something like that. And given the
> _very_ limited resources, You had mentioned, I think it just won't work.

Yes, RAM upgrade is mandatory, whichever solution is used anyway, I agree

>> Well… Having a VM just to split the DC from the file server seems a
>> little overkill,
> It might seem like that. However this is exactly what is typically done.
> Once You got Your first VM up and running, basically You can spawn as
> many VMs as You want. More or less.

I use VMs when I need them. Emulating a whole system just to isolate
network interfaces /is/ overkill, no matter how you look at it. But
anyway I guess I'll have to use some kind of container system to avoid
whole stack emulation

>> so I guess I'll have to switch to Samba 4.2 in order to
>> have a usable winbindd on the DC
> If I understood the discussion right, then the implementation of the
> protocols, that are forming the base on which winbind(d) is running,
> still is incomplete - without hope of a quick change. And therefore
> You will need separate DCs and file servers still for a long time.
> I remember however, that for really small installations the use of
> the DC as file server had been regarded as adequate, though not being
> an optimum solution. You might also want to reconsider, whether You
> really want a separate file server.
What I really want is have something homogeneous, that is consistent
UIDs, GIDs, homedir & so on (RFC2307) among dedicated file servers and
mixed DC/file servers which seem to be impossible right now.