[Samba] NTLMv2 can't auth affter Win2003 update

Sense Zeng opaperjam at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 01:30:50 MDT 2015

My AD server is Win2003. And my linux server is ubuntu. Samba version is
2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2.12 and 2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2.14.04.7. They are join into
the Win2003 AD as normal smb servers (not DC).

After Win2003 DC autoupdate last week, I can't use smbclient access all
samba server with NTLMv2:

~$ smbclient //172.16.3.13/share -U testuser
Enter DOMAIN\testuser's password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

But when I set "client NTLMv2 auth = yes" in smb.conf with smbclient, it's
success to access.

And wbinfo -a failed with the plaintext password:

# sudo wbinfo -a DOMAIN\\testuser%password
plaintext password authentication failed
Could not authenticate user DOMAIN\\testuser%password with plaintext
password
challenge/response password authentication succeeded

Before Win2003 DC update, everything is just fine. Next list is what update
had been install:
KB3032323
KB3039066
KB3046049
KB3033395
KB3034344
KB890830
KB3002657
KB3035132

And now not only the samba, Win7 has same NTLM auth problem too. How can I
fix it?