[Samba] RequireSecuritySignature=1 and public share with guest not working

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 16 09:32:09 MDT 2015

On 16/03/15 15:00, Olszewski, Raphael wrote:

> Hi Rowland
> sorry for not being clear.
>
> In my first post I already wrote:
>
> Now I have to tight security with setting those flags in the windows
> client:
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]
>
> EnablePlainTextPassword=0
>
> EnableSecuritySignature=1
>
> RequireSecuritySignature=1
> . . .
> when I change registry to RequireSecuritySignature=0, everything works like expected.
>
> If setting is still RequireSecuritySignature=0 – everything is working
> with the changed samba config.
> But - i’am forced to change  from RequireSecuritySignature=0  to
> RequireSecuritySignature=1
> If changing the client to RequireSecuritySignature=1 the same public
> share with guest access is not working anymore.
>

> Greetz, Raphael

OK, I have had a look at the portion of smb.conf you posted and you
posted this:

security = user
auth methods = guest
map to guest = Bad User
client max protocol = SMB3
client min protocol = SMB2
client signing = required
server signing = required

Try this:

security = user
map to guest = Bad User
client min protocol = SMB2
client signing = mandatory
server signing = mandatory

The changes: You do not need the 'auth methods' for a public server,
with samba 4 the 'client max protocol' defaults to 'SMB3' , 'required'
is not option for 'client signing' or 'server signing' according to 'man
smb.conf', the three options are 'auto, mandatory and disabled'.

Rowland