[Samba] New production system - a couple of issues hope you can help

Rich Webb rwebb at zylatech.com
Fri Mar 13 19:31:45 MDT 2015

Set up a samba 4 DC everything there seems fine.

Set up a member server according to this article: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server

The setup went fine - also set up a home share according to this: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_home_share

I'm using sernet-samba-ad for the domain controller and sernet-samba-winbind for the member server both versions are 4.1.

The issues are first that when I go into gpmc.msc for managing group policy through RSAT I right-click a policy and click edit I get an error about "MMC has detected an error in a snap-in.  It is recommended that you shut down and restart MMC."

I can Ignore and continue which still allows me to edit the group policy.

Next on the home shares I had issues with users getting "access denied" errors when I had set the permissions set up as listed in the wiki page.  Also in ADUC selecting "connect to" in the user's profile to map the home share will create the directory when a new user is created but it doesn't end up mapping the drive.  I went into GP and set a windows preference for drive mapping and told it to map the P drive to \\server\home\%logonuser% and it still won't map the user's drive.

Also I was getting access denied to everything until I set the unix attributes (which I thought were just for granting permissions under Unix.)  I guess I'm not real clear about what the unix attributes tab is for.  I thought it was for mapping a unix UID to a windows user account so that unix permissions could be set using windows accounts maybe?  If there is an article that someone can point me to I would be happy to read on my own.  I've already read in the howto for setting up a member server but that brief section explaining it I guess isn't clear enough for me.

If I could solve a few of these issues we will have a very stable and fast system.

Thanks in advance.
Rich

Thanks,

Richard Webb