[Samba] reslov.conf on two DC's

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 11 12:52:11 MDT 2015

On 11/03/15 18:01, James wrote:
> Bob,
>
>      Take a look at the following two links.
>
> http://retrohack.com/a-word-or-two-about-dns-islanding/
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2010/07/17/friday-mail-sack-saturday-edition.aspx#dnsbest
>
> I have more than two DC's but generally I would have each one point at
> the other.

I tried that, pointing each DC to the other and my DNS resolving slowed
to a crawl, hung for short periods and generally became unresponsive. I
just have:

search <dns domain>
nameserver 127.0.0.1

on each DC, and everything works ok for me, my feelings are that because
each DC runs a DNS server and replicates info to the others then each DC
should be able to respond. If something has gone wrong with the DNS
server then probably there are others things that have gone wrong and
may not respond to any DNS request.

Pointing member servers & clients at both DCs is probably a good idea.

Rowland