[Samba] Users and groups named in Russian disappeared after upgrade samba4 PDC

Vitaly Pyslar pyslarvt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 09:16:52 MDT 2015

Thanks for the answer.

> Did you got errors during the classicupgrade?
I didn't do classicupgrade. My Samba AD DC was installed from scratch some
months ago using the instructions from this page
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO and everything had been
working well. I just upgraded some deb-packages with samba to the same version
but different buid-release. Regarding to the changelog there were some bug- and
security-fixes.

> @all: Didn't we had someone here on the list with a similar problem?
> Accounts with chinese characters didn't worked or something like that?
I supposed that it could be a characters encoding issue because only users and
groups named in Russian disappeared, default administrative accounts and user
"dhcpd" that I created manually were available.

> About how many accounts do we talk about? Is it worth investigating or
> easier recreating?
You right. It was 36 accounts and 2 groups, not too many. After all my
attempts to fix it I have recreated whole my domain and rejoined all clients.
It was very tiresomely but I had no more time to try to repair it.

I am still conserned if some day it may happen again. It was strange that
restoring backup didn't help. I thought that my operating system can be
damaged, so I tried to restore the backup inside an lxc-container. I tried to
restore some different backups that have been made in different days and months.
No one of them worked. Have all my backups been making broken? To backing up I
use the instruction from this page
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Backup_and_Recovery with little modifications,
but I didn't try to restore it before the fault.