[Samba] "failed to lookup DC info for domain over rpc" when joining samba4 domain

Richard Connon richard at connon.me.uk
Tue Mar 10 14:43:27 MDT 2015

Hello again,

Rowland, thanks for the pointers regarding AD DNS best practice. I'll
look into blocking my ads.connon.me.uk zone from external networks.

The root cause of my issue, however, turned out to be something
unrelated. I concluded that the problem occurs when the join process
needs to connect to the IPC$ share on the DC. For some reason the shares
on the DC were not working due to a missing module:
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba/vfs/acl_xattr.so

Installing the debian package samba-vfs-modules this has resolved the
issues with my join!

Regards,
Richard