[Samba] Samba Port Usage As ADDC via Wiki

James lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 11:57:10 MDT 2015

Hello,

    I notice the wiki says that Samba uses Dynamic RPC ports of
1024-5000/tcp. Looking over some Microsoft documentation I read this

   " In a domain that consists of Windows Server® 2003–based domain
controllers, the default dynamic port range is 1025 through 5000.
Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008, in compliance with
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) recommendations, increased
the dynamic port range for connections. The new default start port is
49152, and the new default end port is 65535. Therefore, you must
increase the remote procedure call (RPC) port range in your firewalls.
If you have a mixed domain environment that includes a
Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008 server and
Windows Server 2003, allow traffic through ports 1025 through 5000 and
49152 through 65535."

Does this mean Samba also uses port range 49152-65535 for Dynamic RPC
when the domain level is raised to 2008? The above paragraph was taken
from
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772723%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
The link also makes reference to UDP Dynamic ranges as well. The Samba
wiki states TCP only. I want to make sure I have all necessary protocol
and port ranges open. Thanks.

--
-James