[Samba] "failed to lookup DC info for domain over rpc" when joining samba4 domain

Richard Connon richard at connon.me.uk
Tue Mar 10 08:11:13 MDT 2015

Hi Rowland,

Please see comments inline.

On 10/03/15 08:51, Rowland Penny wrote:
> Your DC's must point to themselves for DNS and your domain clients must
> point to the DC's, anything outside the domain the DC's will be obtain
> from the forwarders set on them.

This is contrary to what the wiki says.
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server
This page indicates that as long as the client can resolve names in the
domain DNS zone (in my case ads.connon.me.uk) they should be fine.

> What I think is happening: your client is asking for the DC from your
> forwarders, they do not know, so they ask the DC, who asks the
> forwarder, who does not know and so on.

I can confirm this isn't happening since I can resolve (for example) the
SRV records on _ldap._tcp.ads.connon.me.uk through my forwarders, you
can even test this yourself with `dig -t SRV
_ldap._tcp.ads.connon.me.uk` or similar.

I'm currently looking into whether there are any records missing.

Regards,
Richard