[Samba] LDAP with Samba4

Adi Kriegisch adi at cg.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Mar 9 09:13:38 MDT 2015

Hey!

We're still running a Samba3 Domain Controller but need to upgrade to
Samba4/AD soon. The core of our DC is an OpenLDAP server that holds
authentication information for many services including Samba3.
The LDAP server gets replicated to every machine that provides some kind of
authentication or needs local user account information; changing password
is done on a web interface that enforces our password policy and keeps
Samba passwords and "unix passwords" in sync.

The question is how can we continue to use a LDAP server for authentication
while keeping accounts and passwords in sync?
Is there still some development going on for the OpenLDAP backend of
Samba4[1]?
How did others solve such a situation?

Thanks,
    Adi