[Samba] Samba internal DNS and Sysvol share

William Ross williamrossmbsw at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 04:35:25 MDT 2015

I have four domain controllers on my Samba 4.1.17 domain. Each is on a
separate site in AD, in the real world each is at a separate physical
location connected by VPN links.

They are each configured as DNS servers for the domain using the
internal Samba DNS implementation. On each site the local clients are
configured to go to their local domain controller for DNS.

My understanding of the Sysvol share is that on startup a domain
member PC (eg running Win7) will access:
\\domain.mydomain.com\sysvol
to check its GPOs are up-to-date.

My concern is that if I ping domain.mydomain.com from any of the
sites, domain.mydomain.com resolves to a single domain controller (the
first domain controller that was configured). So the clients at the
remote sites will be accessing the sysvol share over the VPN, instead
of the local copy on their local domain controller.

Should domain.mydomain.com not resolve to the domain controller that
is responding to the DNS query? Is this a limitation of the internal
DNS server?

Thanks,
Will