[Samba] server max protocol appropriate values

James lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 08:26:54 MST 2015

Hello,

    My DC smb.conf currently has the following set

        server max protocol = NT1
        server min protocol = CORE
        client max protocol = NT1
        client min protocol = CORE

Is it safe to change both the client and server max to = SMB3? What
about on member servers? Should I be concerned with anything breaking?
I'm using Windows 7 clients to authenticate against Ubuntu 4.1.17 DC's
and a Debian Wheezy as a file server.

This is what I see on
https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html

Normally this option should not be set as the automatic negotiation
phase in the SMB protocol takes care of choosing the appropriate protocol.

Default: //|server max protocol|/ = |SMB3| /

Example: //|server max protocol|/ = |LANMAN1| /

--
-James