[Samba] Delegate Samba4 user authentication to an external LDAP server

Mario Pio Russo mariopiorusso at ie.ibm.com
Tue Mar 3 11:29:44 MST 2015

Hi Rowland

yes you got it right, I have a samba 4 installation and I'd like to
delegate the authentication to an external ldap server.
I have noticed that in samba 4 we do not have the attribute "password", so
my question is:

if I use Samba4+Openldap (as backend) and in OpenLdap I manually add the
attribute "password" to each user entry, and password as a link to SASL
{SASL}username at externalldap.com , do you think that this would work? sorry
but I have not much knowledge of how samba stores its passwords.

thanks

Mario Pio Russo, System Admin SWG IT Services Dublin, Phone & FAX: +353 1
815 2236, eMail: mariopiorusso at ie.ibm.com
IBM Ireland Product Distribution Limited registered in Ireland with number
92815. Registered Office: IBM House, Shelbourne Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4