[Samba] samba-tool time

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Mar 1 11:31:59 MST 2015

On Sun, 2015-03-01 at 09:37 +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 28/02/15 23:57, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Sat, 2015-02-28 at 20:43 +0100, Tim wrote:
> >> Hi Andrew,
> >>
> >> what is it for? I got a revision_match_error. Could this be the reason
> >> why my windows clients can't sync the time via nt5ds?
> > I'm not aware of Windows clients using this interface.  They use SNTP,
> > which we don't have a client for (see ntpdate).
>
> Hi Andrew, you do know that ntpdate was depreciated before samba 4.0 was
> released ? you should be using ntpd

Well, given the recent press, many suggest that nobody should be using
ntpd either.  It certainly does need some help either way, but we don't
currently integrate with anything else on the server.

I'm not an expert on NTP client tools, but my point was that we have no
(S)NTP client tools, some other tool will be needed to test time server
functionality.  Sadly no tool that I know of on Linux will trigger and
verify the MS-SNTP crypto response, which is a serious omission.

Andrew Bartlett