[Samba] pdf-printer

Jack Downes jax at nwmt.us
Tue Jun 30 12:44:47 MDT 2015

On 06/30/2015 03:19 AM, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
> Op 30-06-15 om 09:31 schreef Luca Olivetti:
>> El 22/06/15 a les 09:44, Koenraad Lelong ha escrit:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I recently migrated from samba3 to samba4.
>>> On the samba3 server I had a "printer" that converted pcl6 to pdf. I
>>> tried to make a similar printer in samba4, but it's not working.
>>> Not working means the printed document is nowhere to be found.
>>
>> I'm not sure you can mix cups printing with locally defined printers.
>> If it's possible then, sorry, I have no idea what's happening.
>> If it isn't, maybe you could use the script as a cups filter, something
>> similar to
>>
>> http://www.cups-pdf.de/
>>
>> I have it setup this way on the cups server and it works both with the
>> current samba 3 setup as well as with my samba 4 test server
>> (unsurprisingly since it's just another printer wrt samba).
>>
>> Bye
>
> Thanks for your input. I'm going to study that.
> On my samba3 server I had a pdf-printer using cups.
> But I also had a printer that converts pcl to pdf. And that's what I'm
> trying to do, utimately : make a pcl to pdf printer (see my first post).
> Since that did not work I was trying to get that ps-to-pdf-printer to
> work so I could try modify that printer to convert pcl to pdf in stead
> of postscript to pdf.
>
> Koenraad

Hey, I did something like this before - only I had to go to tiff files.
the code for the cups pdf printer is pretty easy to work with, and it's
just calling ghostscript to do its work. I'm recalling from a few years
ago doing this with , yes samba 3. However, I used only cups printers to
do this.  copied the code for cupspdf and made a cupstiff.  Having samba
integrated to A/D allowed the resulting files to come back to a home dir
and it was remarkably fast.  I'll see if I can look up my old docs and
try to replicate in a samba 4 env (I've not yet worked with Samba4,
might be interesting)

--
Jack Downes
Unique Solutions, Inc.